Notes from IIT Madras online degree course - Statistics for Data Science I
- Create, download, manipulate and analyze data sets.
- Describe data using numerical summaries and visual representations.
- Translate real word problems into probability models.
- Describe and apply the properties of the binomial distribution and normal distribution.
- Frame questions that can be answered from data in terms of variables and cases.
- Estimate chance by applying laws of probability.
- Calculate expectation and variance of a random variable.
Probability Model : A probability model is a mathematical representation of a random phenomenon. It is defined by its sample space, events within the sample space and probabilities associated with each events. - ref
Sample Space : The sample space S for a probability model is the set of all possible outcomes. -ref
Variables and cases:
Laws of probability:
Expectation and variance of a random variable: